Sunday, May 25, 2014

Fin de Semana numero uno

It's hard to believe that it has already been one weekend here in Spain! At the same time, I feel weird typing this out in English since I have really only been here for a few days yet I am already fully immersed in the language. This weekend was definitely one I'll remember for years to come, but both days were polar opposites of each other.

Saturday, I didn't know what the custom was on sleeping in yet, so I got up at about 1030 and went out for breakfast only to have my host mom say "Oh wow, I thought you would have slept longer!" Needless to say, I now know that if I'm given the opportunity to sleep in while here, I'll take it. After lunch, I met up with some amigas so that we could go explore the city.
This is the Ayuntamiento (city hall) and is pretty much our unofficial meeting spot because we all live in different places across the city and we all know where this is! Anyways, we just wondered around the city until we saw a little boat dock and hopped on a ferry that took us around the perimeter of the bay, across to the neighboring bay city and then back. The waters got a little dicy out there, but I loved every second of it, laughing every time Heather, unas de mis amigas, made a face as the boat dipped down with the waves! Here are a few pictures of our maritime adventure 
Palacio de Magdalena 

Lighthouse at Cabo Mayor 

After getting off the boat, we continued to wonder por las calles and discovered a little French themed cafe offering a deal on tapas so we took advantage of that. To add further to irony of a French cafe in Spain, they were playing American music like Creedance Clearwater Revival among others. It was a great life decision to go there basically. Again we found ourselves wandering and ran into another small group of students from our group so we joined up with them, met more at the ayuntamiento, and then found a bar to watch the Champions League final in. With 10 Americans filling the small room, not many locals ventured in, but the bar was split about 50/50 over who they wanted to win the match. My favorite rivalry had to be the two brother bartenders. Eduardo is a Real Madrid fan and Nacho is a Atletico Madrid fan so that was a good time watching them throughout the match. Unfortunately, and for those that don't know, Real won. Despite the outcome, I had a lot of fun and we met 3 other locals and chatted with them for a long time before leaving. To give you an idea of what fútbol is like in Spain vs America, take a quick look at these:

As you can imagine, all the excitement of yesterday sort of took it out of me today and I didn't wake up and get moving until about 1230 today so breakfast was simply coffee. My host sister also went out to watch the game last night and was tired like me today as well. Lunch was muy delicioso! We had some pork chop like things with peppers and french fries and then some fresh strawberries. The rest of the day, I had my cultural intake by watching lots of movies and TV programs. I really enjoy watching Criminal Minds because I've seen most of them and can follow along rather easily, however, by the end of today, I was tired of translating the TV. It's not the easiest thing to do you know? Dinner tonight was PIZZA!!!!!! My house sister is the pizza expert in the family and she prepared it for us and I scarfed it down and then topped it off with a nice little serving of flan!

Now I'm just sitting here in my room, writing this blog for y'alls (wow I miss saying y'all on a regular basis) enjoyment, and preparing for my first day of class tomorrow! 
my room 
Spanish word of the day: Que sueño! A way of saying, I'm sleepy. Ana and I said this all day today.
Ciao! 

No comments:

Post a Comment